- Know what to do before, during, and after a hurricane.
- Prepare before hurricane season starts. Pacific hurricane season starts May 15 and Atlantic hurricane season starts June 1.
- Create an emergency communication plan with your family before a hurricane.
- Have emergency supplies in place at home, at work, and in the car.
- Check your insurance coverage, damages caused by flooding are not covered under normal homeowner’s insurance policies.
- Know your local community’s evacuation plan and evacuation routes and how to receive alerts.
- Listen to local officials.
Visit these resources for more information:
- National Hurricane Center (NHC)
- Hurricane Preparedness – Department of Homeland Security
- Driving Risks During Rain / Flooding
- Houston Preparedness Guide
- Pet Disaster Preparedness